Roasted chicken baked in plantain leaves
1. Chicken – 6 pieces (a chicken cut in big pieces)
2. Shallots (small onion) – 15
3. Garlic – 4
4. Ginger – a medium piece
5. Turmeric powder – ½ tablespoon
6. Chilly Powder – 2 tablespoon
7. Coriander powder – 3 tablespoon
8. Garam masala – 1 tablespoon
9. Salt – as required.
10. Coconut milk- 1 cup
11. Plantain leaves (vazha ila) – 6 big pieces (also take threads from the plantain)
Grind 1 – 9th ingredients together in a paste form and marinate chicken pieces for at least 2 hours. Before applying this paste make small deep cuts on the chicken pieces so that the masala goes deep into the pieces. It is better to keep the marinated chicken refrigerated overnight.
Cook the marinated chicken with coconut milk in a mud vessel (Mann chatti). Let all the coconut milk gets dried. Make sure that the chicken does not get stick to the vessel and also the chicken pieces do not get broken. Wash, dry and pass the plantain leaves (banana leaves) lightly over a slow fire, so that it does not break when it is folded. Keep each chicken piece on each plantain leaves and wrap it with the plantain thread itself. Bake it in an oven for15 minutes and then keep the down side up and bake for another 15 minutes. The fragrance of the plantain leaves and the masala can make your mouth watery.
It is a very easy recipe that too without oil. Very spicy too. You can add chilly powder according to your requirement.